Are your kids picky eaters? Mine are! This is frustrating to any parent, but even more so when you are a dietitian. I want my kids to love all vegetables, eat enough protein, and happily try new foods. It is beyond discouraging when you work hard to plan a balanced meal that you think will be a hit with your family only to have them turn their noses up and proclaim “I hate everything on this plate, I’m not eating dinner.” I’ve heard this statement many, many times from my precious children. Foods that were once favorites, can easily change with young kids…sometimes without warning. Sometimes, after you’ve just bought a giant-sized portion of said food from Costco. Am I right?!
Therefore, I am a huge fan of meal delivery kits. These chef-curated recipes are tried and true favorites that allow me to save tons of time and effort both with meal planning and grocery shopping. I love that I can sit down with my family and browse the selections available for each week and select something delicious that everyone can agree on. They know what is on the menu for the week and really look forward to the delivery of the big refrigerated box with that week’s meals. Not only that, but kids tend to be better eaters when they help you prepare the food. Most meal delivery kits come with colorful, step-by-step instructions and pre-prepped ingredients that help speed up the process to help you get a wholesome, healthy dinner on the table faster.
For our review of another family-friendly meal delivery kit, click HERE
For our review of a kids cooking club, click HERE
The latest meal delivery kit service I’ve tried is One Potato:
One Potato’s motto is: “Family meals made easy. Organic, pre-prepped ingredients and family-friendly recipes with special child pricing delivered weekly. ” They had me at “Family meals made easy and Organic.” Yes and yes, please!
Front and backs of the menu card:
The first meal we made was the Herb-roasted chicken with brussels sprouts, potatoes, and polenta fries.
This dish was a hit with both kids and adults. Easy, flavorful, healthy and fast. In fact, all the One Potato meals are designed to be prepared start to finish in under 30 minutes. This mama was thrilled when both picky eaters gobbled up the brussels!
The next dish was Salmon in parchment with Asian veggies and brown rice.
To be honest, I wasn’t sure how this dish would go over with my kids, but it was also a hit! They loved being able to customize their dishes by selecting which types of veggies they liked and wrapping their individual portions up in the parchment paper.
Just a few things that I LOVED about One Potato:
- They source the highest quality organic ingredients. Everything in the meal box is organic. They also work with some of the country’s best farms and purveyors of meat, poultry, and fish who value sustainability and humane treatment of animals. They also use non-GMO seasonal produce. As a mom and dietitian, this component is a huge selling point for me.
- Their packaging is as environmentally responsible as possible. Everything is recyclable or biodegradable. Even the insulation is made from recycled denim jeans! The icepacks are also reusable/recyclable.
- It is customized not only to your food preferences and the number of family members but also to the age of your kids (this feature will save you money.)
- The recipes are not only healthy, but kid-friendly. They are full of flavor, but nothing too spicy or unappealing to kids.
- If you don’t like the seasonal recipes available for the week, you can always choose from their Family Favorites menu which offers crowd favorites like spaghetti pomodoro with baked zucchini sticks. Side note: my son declared that meal to be “the best thing I’ve ever tasted in my whole life!”
- Simply choose your type of meals, how many meals you want to receive each week, skip weeks, change your family size, or cancel anytime. Commitment-free! I really like how they send you a reminder email with plenty of notice to either select upcoming meals, or delay them. There are no surprises.
Use our unique discount code to receive $35 off your first box!
Still need convincing to try it? They throw in a different flavor of cookie dough for free each week!
One last tip! Unfortunately, One Potato doesn’t deliver everywhere. They currently deliver in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and Utah*, but will be in your neighborhood soon! Go to http://onepotato.com/join to join our waiting list and receive meals on us when we’re in your city!
*Certain zip codes excluded